The fairgrounds were originally located on 25th Street which is now the Fair Oaks Mall. In 1956 a group of community leaders decided it was time to have a fairgrounds that was operated and maintained by an elected group of people who were interested in improving the conditions for the 4-Hers and businesses.
Picture On May 7th, 1956 a group of citizens met and decided to form a corporate body, later called the Bartholomew County 4-H Fair, Inc. The first elected board of directors was elected at this meeting. They were Carl Fox, Martha Doup, Perry Doup, Harry Embry, Henry Hoevener, Walter Miller, B. Parker Newsom, Sr., Wendel Shireman, and J. Perry Thompson. The corporate papers were officially signed November 15, 1956 and a 99 year lease was signed November 24, 1956 between the County Commissioners and the Bartholomew County 4-H Fair, Inc.
The ground was previously used as a county farm located at 200 S. and St. Rd. 11 and is now the Bartholomew County 4-H Fair, Inc. fairgrounds. The first fair was held on July 21-26, 1958. How blessed the community is for this project to continue!